To support the delivery of the Ready for Work Club, working directly with participants to assist them with all aspects of job search, application and interview preparation.
It is required you commit a minimum of around one session a month which is based around our “Ready for Work” club. We are still developing Ready for Work club at our Little Hulton base so a time and date is still to be confirmed. It is not expected that you attend this club every week, but rather that you would commit to some kind of regular pattern of attendance.
Freedom Project Coordinator
Volunteer Skills Mentors may support in the following ways:
- Regular support at our weekly ‘Ready for Work’ club.
The specific support given is dependent on the requirements of the clients but is likely to include helping with online application forms; internet job searching; assistance with writing CVs and covering letters and providing advice in relation to job searching.
- Mock interview practice
- Job coaching sessions
- Information and advice on specific work sectors
- IT training
- Support in opening a bank account
- Debt advice / budgeting
- Disclosure advise
We welcome volunteer Skills Mentors from a wide variety of backgrounds. It is important that Skills Mentors are able to:
- Treat clients with respect and have a positive, non-judgemental attitude towards people
- Treat what is said as confidential
- Be a good listener and practice active listening skills
- Be willing to learn from clients as well as give them support
- Where possible, enable clients to do things for themselves rather than taking over and doing things for them
- Provide encouragement and motivation to clients to continue and persevere with their job search
- Input new ideas or suggestions to widen or improve job search success
- Identify where the client may benefit from additional training or coaching and feed this back to the Freedom Project manager (Johnny Bushell)
- Report back to the FP Manager with any questions or issues they are unable to deal with
To register your interest in becoming a Skills Mentor, please visit How to apply.